Thursday, April 1, 2010

Interview with the fabulous Rachel Powell!


Who or what inspires your work?

My Mother - she is often right! (With her advice). She sits and knits laptop cases, makes corsages and stays up till 1am creating new ideas - always full of energy and sunshine and a passion for sewing and textiles. My Dad gets the job of fixing things for me and fitting sinks in the studio, etc. They are the best team and an amazing support!


What is your favourite piece in the space?

My hand-woven corset, made from recycled sari silk yarn and hand dyed banana yarn and organic silks - everyone is always so amazed when I tell them that it is all hand-woven and also what it's made from!


What are your hopes and dreams for the future?

To be happy in my work (like I am now), to be successful with my business and to inspire others. To be free to design as I wish and for my work to be appreciated within my industry.



If you were commissioned to create a piece of street-art, what would you do?

A great big piece of knitting or weaving! - that the public add to, as a little part of you goes into everything you make.

What's been your most memorable moment while in the unit?

Every single day in the shop as something new is always happening or someone new walks through the door with a fantastic story to tell! Realising how amazingly creative the people of Middlesbrough are!!!

If you could be in an exhibition with any artists or designers, dead or alive, who would you choose?

Vivienne Westwood, an eccentric and inspiring lady and I can imagine she has some crazy stories to tell! And Alexander McQueen - he was the designer who first inspired me and will be truly missed within the fashion world. He was a true showman who could create an amazing theme for the exhibition.



No comments:

Post a Comment